Thoughtful Reading Enrichment Sessions
- Outstanding world children's literature with rich language and multicultural themes forms the foundation of our programs.
- Our experts curate a mix of stories, art, drama, conversations and games to prod thinking and communication.
- Story educators and kids read, perform, think, comprehend, imagine and talk around amazing books.
- Our Little Readers don't just read, they connect with books, are inspired by them.
- Thoughtful readers, creative thinkers, expressive tellers, they are tomorrow's Leaders in the making.
- With sustained engagement, we promise an astounding transformation that stays with your child for life.
Devaki Bhujang Gajare, a software analyst in New York returned home to start a children’s book club in Mumbai. Why?
As word spread, other mothers expressed a desire to weave the same magic in their own community. A network of mums and educators with a shared vision was thus created in 2012. Experts came onboard to help us realise our vision.
Our network has grown beyond our wildest dreams since then, challenging 1000s of kids to read and think in over 25 cities across India and beyond today.
3 TIERED PROGRAM
Ages 2-3: Parent-Child Story-times
• Read aloud from picture books
• Parents and kids bond over books
• Messy play, art, action games, rhymes
Weekly sessions foster listening skills, letter and word knowledge, love for books
Ages 4-7: Early Literacy Play-shops
• Mindful telling, doodles, drama
• Word games, book analysis
• Design thinking with twists in the tale
Weekly sessions foster vocabulary, comprehension, thinking and expression
Ages 8-10: Language Arts Workshops
• Buddy reading, comprehension strategies
• Design thinking with process drama
• Word games, debates, presentations, writing
Weekly sessions foster reading, thinking, speaking and writing skills
What are Language Arts? . . .
Language arts are the use of language to communicate ideas — by reading, writing, viewing, listening and speaking.
Skills covered include reading proficiency, vocabulary, comprehension, grammar, public speaking, writing.
Language is the basis of all thought — the best ideas are worth sharing with the world!
What are Life Skills? . . .
Life skills are the ability to independently deal with challenges of life. This includes learning to share, making new friends, mastering a skill or planning a trip for example.
Skills covered include creativity, communication, problem solving, decision making, empathy, managing people and emotions.
Life skills allow us to navigate a demanding life with joy and confidence.
How do you use childrens books to promote Language Arts and Life Skills? . . .
Good children's literature is rich in language and thought — new words, multicultural themes, interesting characters caught up in tricky situations… !
We curate award-winning books from around the world and design holistic activities to promote book appreciation and interaction.
Kids learn to read and write in school. We take them a step further: thinking beyond books to form their own views, effectively collaborating to display and nurture ideas.
Our small group size and warm fun-oriented approach ensures even reticent children express themselves freely and with confidence!
What happens in your sessions? . . .
A mix of stories, teacher-led thinking and communication routines, and child-led creative play:
• Energiser song, drama or game
• Interactive narration with story imagery
• Read alouds, picture book walks
• Discussions, games, drama, art-craft and play — to reinforce vocabulary, and recall, reflect upon and rejig stories
• Independent or buddy reading and writing (ages 7+)
What kind of books do you use? . . .
We curate the best in children's literature from around the world, picture books from acclaimed publishing houses created by award-winning authors and illustrators.
Featuring rich language and vocabulary, imaginative pictures and multicultural themes, these open-ended stories offer lots of food for thought, discussion and learning.
What learning outcomes can I expect? . . .
Over time, your child will learn to:
• Listen thoughtfully, imagine freely
• Communicate confidently using a rich vocabulary
• Show keen interest in exploring books
• Comprehend and think critically to extend reading
• Read with proficiency, write with ease (ages 7+)
Why don’t you teach my child to read? . . .
Learning to read is only the first step in your child’s journey as a successful reader and learner. This basic skill is taught in school.
Purposeful reading — to seek out new things or for pleasure — requires far more - vocabulary and comprehension, critical and creative thinking, communication and collaboration.
Developing ‘soft’ skills to navigate real life problems are our focus at Little Readers’ Nook.
Why a weekly session? How long should my child attend? . . .
• A weekly session allows us to unlock reading goals without overwhelming the children.
• The gaps between sessions offer kids time to reflect and connect to stories.
• Exploring language, enjoying books and building life skills is a continuous process.
• We therefore recommend your child attend our sessions on a continuous basis.
Why not cover more stories? . . .
We make each story count as we channel its power to prod your child to think creatively and critically. Please allow our thought provoking book appreciation activities time to weave their magic!
Will my child be able to retell stories at home? . . .
Most kids respond better to interesting discussions rather than overt questioning. Use our story recap and food for thought tips to get your child talking!
What can I do at home to support my child’s journey as an engaged reader? . . .
• Read together everyday! Let kids choose books, or use our themed booklists.
• Communicate often, integrate our vocabulary and food for thought tips into daily conversations.
• Create experiences around stories — follow up in-class lessons with real life stories and other teachable moments.
• Reflect on our handouts to recall words and stories. Add twists to the tale. Please do send the Little Readers’ Nook file to class each week.
ENROL YOUR CHILD
Outside India . . .
Mumbai - South & Central . . .
Mumbai - Central Suburbs . . .
Mumbai - Western Suburbs . . .
Vile Parle East
Navi Mumbai & Thane . . .
Delhi NCR . . .
Bangalore . . .
Kolkata . . .
Hyderabad . . .
Pune . . .
South & West India . . .
North & Central India . . .
Stories & Beyond, 9826067973
Believe in our vision? Join us to build your own kid-centric startup as you conduct Little Readers' Nook programs in your locality. We seek enterprising book-loving mums or educators.
- Training and supportive team interaction
- Complete curriculum - books, props, lesson plans, handouts
- Marketing support
- Choose your own work hours and place
- Passion for teaching and books
- English fluency, flair for drama and a great sense of fun
- Commitment to ethical practices, excellence and teamwork
- Dynamism to grow your own venture